Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Using What's Right in Front of Me


Shelf Life: Two Down, On the Right
6x12, cradled panel
sold
It feels good to be well, technology-friendly, and back in the studio. While [thinking about] de-decorating the house after Christmas, I realized there were some pretty groovy still lifes around here. All set up, lighted, and waiting to be painted. I've used these Stafforshire dogs before, here. The blue and orange box in front holds Mr. Right's grandmother's original "Sun-Pruf Goggles" - she was blind and these were the dark glasses she wore back in the day. We tend to stick all manner of mementos in the walls of bookcases that meander around our house and I'm intrigued by the subject matter. Sorry for the glare in the shadows.

6 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

Mitzi.
Love this one. Great composition- was just waiting on you:)
I am doing the same thing. Perusing my own house for painting opportunities. Stay warm.

Sarah said...

Hi Mitzi. Looks like you are off to a great new year in the studio. Love this piece! Didn't get a visit in during Dec. and just now seeing all those wonderful Santa paintings. I may just need one of these.
Looking forward to lunch sometime soon.
Happy 2011! ~ Sarah

Art with Liz said...

Really like this still life! Original and full of fun!

Angela Elledge said...

A wonderful painting, I love the dogs framing the composition, can't wait to see more!

carol morgan carmichael said...

This is so cool. Love the format and the items you chose. So fun and meaningful. I love the hanging cross. A bookmark?

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I just love built in bookcases and the little still lifes within. Beautiful.