Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Shelf Life: In Our Kitchen

Shelf Life: Kitchen, Top Right
8x8, oil on panel
sold
A kitchen still life where Italian Renaissance Art and The Cokesbury Stunt Book (1934) mingle with Texas BBQ and Betty Crocker. Add to that some pretty white primroses that sneaked into my grocery cart this week and a can (empty) of Good Luck Blackeyed Peas - an annual holiday gift from friends. I wanted to see a smaller painting in the Shelf Life series but intend to paint this scene larger. I like what sits just to the side of the peas. The Cokesbury book includes chapters on Luncheon Stunts, Group Stunts, Stunts for Leaders, Party Stunts, Stunts for Boys Camps, Mental Stunts, and Conundrums.

5 comments:

carol morgan carmichael said...

Love the brushwork and color in this. Nice and loose. Such lovely harmony.
The stunt book sounds like somthing every household needs. I bet you have good parties at your house.

I like your door man too!

Amy Hillenbrand said...

Such a cozy little painting. I really like the addition of the blackeyed peas.

Stephen Parker said...

Very nice, Mitzy. It looks and sounds like a very lively kitchen.

Stephen

Angela Elledge said...

Cozy is exactly what I thought when I saw this, too; I think the square format really emphasizes that feeling for me. Beautiful colors and brushstrokes.

c.gillespie said...

REALLY like this Mitzi!

Best fom the Great White(as in snow!) North
Cathy