Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Beach Paintings: My Perpetual, Virtual Vacation

And Then He Said...
11x14, oil on panel
sold
Another image from Playa del Carmen. The light in that part of the world is captivating - like a subject all its own - and I had such fun trying to capture it. I drew the girls in my sketchbook a half dozen times before I picked up a brush and, no surprise, I think it really helped. I became aware of nuances - like the negative shapes - and worked to keep them interesting. Also, I tried to do more drawing than painting with the paint... does that make sense? I'm loving the cadmium orange ground; it warms the skin tones and really pops when it peeks through the sand and water.

3 comments:

Linda Popple said...

These last two paintings are really nice! And I agree that the orange warms the painting. I like it peeking through. The gestures on the figures are nicely rendered. Well done!

Angela Elledge said...

Mitzi, before I read your post, I noticed the variety in the negative shapes and immediately loved the whole painting. Very nice.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

fabulous!! Fabulous! Fabulous!