Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

One Painting, Two Palettes

Pauline Chapel II
11x14, oil on canvas
SOLD
I painted this Colorado Springs chapel twice and it was a great exercise. These are from an amazing photograph-turned-paint-challenge taken by artist/photographer Lee Brown and posted on his site A Day Not Wasted. In the painting to the left I really pushed the warm light/cool shadow interplay. The version above is more traditional and seems to garner the most votes from my panel of in-house art critics. Don't forget: click on paintings for larger view. Fun, fun, fun!
Pauline Chapel I, 12x12 oil on canvas, $165, email for info

6 comments:

Angela Elledge said...

Hello Mitzi,
I'm joining your in-house art critics with my vote for the same painting. Love your handling of the dappled light, the dark ground shadows and the beautiful sky; very well done!

JohanneMorinFineArt said...

Nice Mitzi. I like the light and brushstrokes.

Stephen Parker said...

Hey, Mitzi. These are great. Like the vocal majority under your roof, I, too, especially like the top one. The warm antique white of the stucco is very convincing.

Dean H. said...

Great work, Mitzi! I like both versions, but I too, prefer the traditional styled painting the most.
Aren't these challenges great fun??!!
:)

Anonymous said...

Mitzi....lovely paintings. Wasn't this a fun challenge! Looking forward to what Lee has for us next month. Wishing happy painting to you!

Dana Cooper said...

I would have a hard time picking one as 'better' than the other, they are both beautiful! Your sense of the light feels more certain in the the second though.