Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Three Shows Not to be Missed

Hot Property
8x8, oil on canvas panel
Rain again today thrwarts another good intention to photograph recent work. Luckily, I've got exciting news to share - Hot Property has been juried into the annual Austin Art Space For the Love of Art exhibit. Wahoo! The show will run from February 8-27. Click here for gallery address, hours, etc. Just in time for Valentines... if you live in Austin, do try to stop in and see the show.

Another great tip for these grey, drizzle-y days: a fabulous BBC miniseries called The Impressionists. The story is told as a flashback by an 80-year-old Claude Monet and chronicles the lives, friendships, and struggles of Renoir, Degas, Manet, Cezanne, etc. The miniseries is beautifully produced and has just made my week... I've watched it twice! Three episodes plus a bonus bio feature on Monet, it comes on two seperate discs. You can buy from Amazon but I rented it at Netflix. Highly recommended!

Finally, I got to see Carmen at the New York Metropolitan Opera last night. And never left Austin. Am I the last to know this? The Met does a program called Live in HD where shows on stage in NYC are simulcast to movie theatres all over the world. Now, I am a complete opera-newbie and confess to being a bit intimidated. Ha - I was hooked in 30 minutes. Not only do you see the stage performance from the best seats in the house, but you go (the magic of Hollywood!) backstage, into the orchestra pit, and see interviews with the cast members. It was incredible! Click here for information and tickets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mitzi,
I absolutley love this piece!! so simple yet so accomplished. The colors are grand.

And I am very excited about the mini series you recommended..I might just send my husband out to Blockbusters right now :)