Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Living and Learning

Oregano with Pool Towel: A Tenderfoot's Attempt
8x8, oil on panel
$85 - email for info

Have a personal humor about things. You will never know your calibre until you have tried yourself. Avoid idle industry. Be venturesome. Try new things that appeal to you.
Examine others. Have a pioneer spirit. ~Robert Henri, The Art Spirit

(OK, here's where I sound like Sharkboy and Lavagirl, my teenagers) "Everybody's starting a plein air painting class this week but me," she whined. Laurel Daniel is teaching a plein air class and many of my still life classmates have moved outdoors. It's not the perfect time in my life to peel off a new project but, truth be told, I am envious. I think I miss the people as much as the process.

Anyway, taking the advise of a superhero - Robert Henri - I dusted off my pioneer spirit and ceremoniously traipsed the painting supplies outside. Loaded like a sherpa, I got all the way out the studio door and about 10 feet onto the terrace where I painted a safe and familiar backyard scene. After two-ish hours, I proudly marched inside with my painting only to find it 4 shades darker than intended. Hmmmm. Low-key, indeed. Have I read somewhere that, when painting en plein air, one really shouldn't stand in direct sun?

2 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

Mitzi, your painting does not come across my monitor as too dark, it is really very nice! I too, ventured as far as my backyard for my first plein air attempt, and yours is way more successful.
I too would love to take from Laurel Daniel, she is amazing!

Stephen Parker said...

Mitzi,

Laurel's class misses you! I almost emailed you Wednesday to find out why you weren't there. For some reason, I thought you had signed up. Nevertheless, good for you for taking your stuff and painting outside. Oregano with Pool Towel looks great.

I also liked the post from your last open studio session. Now that I know you're not in the plein air class, I better write down time and dates to make sure I start going to the open sessions.

Hope to see you soon.

Stephen