Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2019

Torn Paper Collage: Abbey Road, Part 1



I love paper and make torn-paper collages from time to time.  Last fall's hiatus from social media was due to a BIG collage I made for dear friends who have recently restored a mid-century modern beauty!  They wanted a period piece to hang over the bar and chose the iconic Abbey Road cover.  I received the panel in August and the finished piece was installed in their home right after Thanksgiving.

I learned so much.  The project was challenging and very, very fun.  Of course, all credit goes to photographer Iain Macmillan and the work he did with George, Paul, Ringo, and John in London on Friday, August 8, 1969.  Brilliant!


The Puzzles

Puzzle #1:  Size.   96"x54".  We laughed and said, if it were a dining room table, it would seat 10.  Squeals of delight.  Big enough to dance on!

Puzzle #2:  Perspective and Readability.  Tight on space, I worked with the piece laying flat and me creating from the top..... looking at it upside down.  I could only get about 15 feet away when we stood it up (every couple of weeks - this sucker is h e a v y!

Juxtapose that with where it hangs in this beautiful home.  Though you can get up close, the line of sight goes straight out, about 60 feet, to their pool.  I spent a lot of time hoping and hoping that the collage would be interesting up close but, as important, "readable" from the vantage point of most viewers.  A very fun puzzle!







No comments: